Monday 30 April 2012

Making the Bed

“People with a scarcity mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-lose. There is only so much; and if someone else has it, that means there will be less for me. The more principle-centered we become, the more we develop an abundance mentality, the more we are genuinely happy for the successes, well-being, achievements, recognition, and good fortune of other people. We believe their success adds to…rather than detracts from…our lives.”
Stephen R. Covey

I live in Interesting Times. Things are shifting around for me and whilst one of my frustrations is how slowly things are changing, it is clear, that some things insist in happening in their own time. I stopped smoking 4 weeks ago, without nicotine supplements, but with the help of the fabulous Paul McKenna and today I began my exercise regime. Long-time readers of my personal blogs know that this is not the first time I have done either, so what's different?
My default position has been set to 'lazy'. I've been more than guilty of just letting things go; procrastination is one of my character traits I struggle with on a moment by moment basis. This is the first time in my forty-two years on this planet that I've had a break from work without a drama, crisis or disaster. The last few years, I've been wrestling with the Meaning of Life. Shifting from employee to being the self-employed captain of my ship has been a greater challenge than I anticipated, especially since I'm so easily distracted. I'm curious about so many things. It would be tempting to say that I've lost time on Facebook and twitter, except that isn't accurate; I've been cementing my personal and professional relationships as I have rested and recuperated. 
Taking the time has meant I've been able to consider where I want to put my focus. What do I need to do to put food on our table? If I will be doing more than one activity, and that's certainly been the way things are unfolding, how do I prioritise my time and my activities? Good questions all. But before I can even really think about that, I've had to look to the foundations of my Life. I've had to address my health and wellbeing and it takes time to recharge. I welcome frustration now. I recognise that when I'm frustrated, it means I'm ready to take it up a gear.
Throughout it all, I've been spending time with two concepts: inspiration and abundance. I am grateful to have both in my Life. I feel like I'm living them both, I'm experiencing Life a little bit slower, a little more gently. From here I'll dive into my future. But for now, I'm happy sitting on my diving board, dangling my feet in the pool and thinking about how theory and practice work together. You see, it's one thing to believe in inspiration and abundance, it's another to live them. It's a new road to travel and I'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. Not rushing in is good. You know when it's the time and you know when it's the right thing.

    It's possible I'm lazy myself. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that Z. I figure Life will unfold in the way it's meant to.

      And if you're lazy, then I'm John F Kennedy. I've never known a woman work, work hard and make it look effortless.

      Delete
  2. With you 100% on getting the foundations right, Now if I could only take my own advice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being funny or anything...you've got your hands full at the moment.

      Anything other than Damage Limitation will just siphon energy off from where it's most needed.

      You are a woman who needs an iPad! Now that's a good foundation!
      xxx

      Delete
  3. 46 years on the planet has taught me that holding back and seeing more of the picture can save a lot of wasted effort – that and most people I work with change their mind about what they want at the 11th hour, 9 times out of 10 (the 10th generally changed their mind at the 12th hour).

    That said there is a fine line between patience and procrastination but I can’t be bothered to work out what that is at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, keeping an eye on the bigger picture is all important...at the moment I just don't know how to colour in the details.

      Maybe, it's about me being more Zen and letting opportunity come to me?

      Dunno.

      And hey, welcome!

      Delete
  4. Time is a tricky thing, and Life simply happens on its own pace. We just need to allow it to happen. Mostly in the form of circles or spirals.

    ReplyDelete

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome. Pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee, make yourself at home.