Thursday 8 November 2012

Taking Time Out


Sometimes we need different things: a kick up the back side, a hug from a friend, silence, excitement, stimulation, hard work. It's important to recognise, acknowledge and meet your needs. At the moment, I need some time to reflect and to re-energise.

Yes, I could change my state, wind myself up and go forth and be fabulous. But at the moment, quiet contemplation is where I'm at.

It's too easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of day to day life and to expend a huge amount of energy being busy and productive. 

The thing is, if you don't look after yourself, you're not going to be able to meet your responsibilities at home, at work or to your family. Looking after yourself isn't selfish. It's necessary. There are some things that really can wait 5 minutes.

Stop for a minute.

Feel your breath as it enters and leaves your body. What does your body need right now? It needs your next breath. That's all. In this instant, that's all that matters. 

The sun will rise tomorrow, the earth will dance through the universe.

These things happen whilst we are breathing.

It's hard at the moment. I don't know anyone who isn't carrying worry. Who isn't concerned about their finances, their loved ones, their health and wellbeing. I see it in the faces of the people on the street, as they drive to work in the morning, as they try and keep it together. If we're finding Life a bit hard, maybe it's time to find compassion for ourselves, so we can be compassionate to other people.

We're all trying to figure out what we're doing here on this Earth. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. And do you know what - that's okay. It's okay to be confused, worried and scared.

But tomorrow, the sun will rise and the earth will continue to dance around the universe.

Every day is a new beginning.

So taking some time to breathe, to relax; it means you'll be better able to deal with what lies in front of you. It's not self-indulgence; it's necessary. Even if it's a few minutes every day just sitting, staring out the window and being aware as the breath enters and leaves your body.

Be well darlings.

6 comments:

  1. In 1970, when my father died in January and the year continued to get worse, my mother was at about her lowest ebb when she read a Peanuts cartoon. Snoopy was lying on his kennel and mused 'I don't know about taking one day at a time. Sometimes half a day at a time is enough for me.' Made us feel a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the half-a-day approach is working for me at the moment.

      Good advice.
      xx

      Delete
    2. When I was worried about my last three years at work and making it to retirement, I also broke it down into half-days.

      Make it lunch. Yay!

      Make it to go-home time. Yay!

      Those little successes really did help.

      Delete
    3. von LX

      Good idea.

      I'll give that a go.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Everybody needs quiet time. Me probably more than most...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think it's just you.

      Also, it's winter. This isn't the time of year to rush around. Hearty soups, warm fires and early nights.

      And yes, I'm taking loads of quiet time too.
      xx

      Delete

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome. Pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee, make yourself at home.